LobbyConnect allows guests to specify a host when guests check-in. By default, the host list is sourced from all active Teem users. Hosts will be notified of visitors via the email or phone number (SMS) listed on their user profile. Groups of users can be either white-listed or black-listed in order to control which users appear on specific devices or to keep certain users from appearing at all.
A Note on Import Methods
All new customers have been moved to the below method of contact syncing for LobbyConnect hosts. If you use one of the previous methods, instructions can be found by clicking here. However, these methods are no longer supported and may be deprecated at some point. To switch to the new model, simply send an email to email@example.com with “LobbyConnect Users” in the Subject line. We will make the change on the back-end to populate your LobbyConnect with users from the Teem portal.
Populating the User List
LobbyConnect automatically displays users and groups from your Teem user list. You can populate this list in one of three ways:
- Manually add the users at https://app.teem.com/manage/#/users
- Import users and groups via Google or Office 365
- If you are already an Eventboard Enterprise customer, you can sync users and groups via SAML, as long as your provider supports provisioning, or by using Active Directory User Sync
Once you've successfully synced your user directory, all active users in the dashboard will appear on all LobbyConnect devices. If a user is disabled or deleted, they will no longer appear.
If you’re only using one LobbyConnect device, or if you don’t need to control the list by user role or location, you’re all set and should see your users populate on the device. If you’d like more granular control (like only showing certain users on certain LobbyConnect devices, or keeping executives names from appearing on the device) read on.
Whitelists and Blacklists
Now that you’ve created or synced your users and groups, we can use those groups to limit which users appear on each LobbyConnect device via whitelists and blacklists. These lists can be set at any level of the organization, but we recommend using a global Blacklist (for any individuals that would prefer not to be contacted at all) and using building or campus-specific whitelists (to only show users that work at a certain location).
Remember: If a whitelist is used, only whitelisted users are shown, except where those users also appear in the blacklist.
Example: Creating a global blacklist
Let’s start by creating a global blacklist. This would be a group of users (like “Executives” or “Contractors”) that you don’t want to appear on any LobbyConnect device. Once that list is set, you’ll want to access the global blacklist in your LobbyConnect settings, here
1. Scroll down to “Host White/Blacklists”, click on the “Assign user groups to the blacklist” field.
2. Add any relevant groups.
You’re all set! Any users that are members of these groups will not appear on any LobbyConnect device.
Example: Creating a location-specific whitelist
Next, we’ll set up whitelists to only show members of a certain group at certain locations.
1. Select your preferred location from the location directory and select App Setting Overrides:
Then, select LobbyConnect, and scroll down to the Employee White/Blacklists setting:
From here, you can set a group for the location, like “San Francisco Campus”, or “Tower 7”:
Remember: Blacklists override whitelists, so if a user is a member of a whitelisted group and a blacklisted group that affects the same location, the blacklist will “win” and the user will not be shown.
We hope you enjoy this new method for syncing contacts and that it provides all the flexibility you need to control who appears on your devices. Thank you again for using Teem and LobbyConnect!
Reminder for Legacy Customers
As of 8/7/2017, all new customers have been moved to the above method of contact syncing for LobbyConnect hosts. Instructions for the previous methods can be found below. However, these methods are no longer supported and may be deprecated at some point. To switch to the new model, simply send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “LobbyConnect Users” in the Subject line. We will make the change on the back-end to populate your LobbyConnect with users from the Teem portal.
How to Choose an Import Method (Legacy)
There are two host import methods: Cloudsync and Local Contacts. Cloudsync is a feature we built to automatically sync contacts from your email system. Local Contacts uses contacts from your iPad.
Google users are able to use either method. At this time, we are not actively able to synchronize Exchange and Office 365 contacts using Cloudsync. We are working on a solution, but in the meantime, Exchange and Office 365 users will have to use the Local Contacts method.
Importing Google Contacts Using CloudSync (Legacy)
User changes in an organization can happen frequently, and updating the local contacts for LobbyConnect can become a real burden. So, we created an alternative by leveraging Google's API to collect your company’s contact information. These steps will walk you through the setup process for this method of importing contacts.
First, we need to have a user account from which we are going to sync contacts. Often, this is the same account that we are using with our EventBoard calendar syncing. There is one thing that a Google App for Work administrator will need to change. This user needs to have permissions on the API in order for us to get the Directory contacts from the account. There are three choices: either use a SuperUser or Admin account, which we don't recommend, or create a simple Admin Role.
To create an Admin Role do the following:
1. Log in to the Google admin console.
2. Select Admin Roles. If you don't see it, you might need to look under MoreControls at the bottom of the screen.
3. Once in the Admin Roles, create a new Admin Role. I like to name my role API Viewer, but you can call it whatever you would like, and add a description that is appropriate for your admin group.
4. Now that you have a new role created, select the role and go to the permissions tab. We only need two permissions here: API access of Read on Groups and Users.
5. Select the Admins tab. We are going to add our user to the admins for this role, which will grant to them the rights to read the users and groups through the API.
6. Enter the email address of the management user, often something like email@example.com, and then save the changes to this Admin Role.
7. Now that the user has the rights needed, you can add your account to your Teem admin dashboard.
8. Here, go to the left menu and click on Manage.
9. Click on Apps & Integrations.
10. Then select 3rd Party Apps.
11. Find the Google Contact Sync and Login and click the Activate button.
12. You will be taken to Google to give Teem permission to import the account. Click Allow if you see the correct Google account, you will now be taken back to Teem.
13. Click the Save button on the Google Contact Sync and Login page.
That should do it! We will now ask for the Directory contacts, and sync those out to the LobbyConnect device. Those will automatically update, making contact management much easier.
A few notes on behavior:
If you have Sync Contacts checked for any CloudSynced account, LobbyConnect will ignore Local Contacts entirely.
The information that we collect is from the Directory section of contacts, not the My Contacts section for the given account. To change and update information for the Directory a Google Admin will need to go and update all needed information for the users within the Google Admin Console. This is often needed for phone numbers. They can also hide service accounts.
Currently, all contacts are available on all LobbyConnect devices. There is not a way to have a different group based on location or have one device use Local Contacts while others use CloudSync contacts.
Importing Local Contacts for Hosts (Legacy)
1. Navigate to the Settings app on the iPad.
2. Select Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
3. Select Add Account.
4. Select your account type -- Google, Exchange, etc.
5. Enter your credentials for your account
6. Contacts should be toggled to green
Verify Contact Sync (Legacy)
Once you have completed the setup above, wait a few minutes for the contacts to sync with your device. To confirm that your contacts have been successfully imported, navigate to the Contacts app.